Theory Department Policies
- In order to be placed in Musicianship 1 (lecture and lab), a student must achieve a score of 80% or better on the Music Theory Placement Test or a grade of B or higher in Materials of Music.
- In order to pass any Musicianship LAB course (1531L, 1532L, 2631L, 2632L), a student must achieve at least a 70% in BOTH the sight singing and dictation portions of the course. A high grade in one portion cannot "pull up" a failing grade in the other.
- A student may not advance to the next level of Musicianship courses until BOTH lecture and lab courses are passed at the current level. For example:
- If a student passes Musicianship 1 LECTURE but not Musicianship 1 LAB, he/she may not take ANY Musicianship 2 course until the outstanding LAB is passed.
- If a student passes Musicianship 1 LAB but not Musicianship 1 LECTURE, he/she may not take ANY Musicianship 2 course until the outstanding LECTURE is passed.
- If a student earns a passing grade (C or better) in Musicianship 2 LAB, he/she will be permitted to take the Sight Singing and Keyboard Jury. If the jury is not passed after the second try, he/she will receive a D in the course regardless of the previous grade earned. The student must then re-enroll in Musicianship 2 LAB. The same policy applies to the Musicianship 4 Exit Exam.